[huskerlug] Re: Serious hard drive/boot loader problems! (LONG)

  • From: "J.R. Wessels" <jwessels@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 23:08:53 -0500

Inline comments below...

> The differences were:
> vga=normal <- i knew this didn't make a difference

Says what text mode to open after the kernel starts up.  Getting 80 lines of
text on the screen can be handy when doing sdl game programming on a text
only 486. :}  I've done it before.  I know, I'm demented.

> keytable=/boot/us.klt  <- figured it was keymapping
Yup.

> nowarn <- no idea what this is
(copy paste from man lilo.conf) Disables warnings about possible future
dangers.   Probably want to get rid of this line if you are having problems.

> ignore-table <- no idea what this is
(copy paste) Tells lilo to ignore corrupt partition tables.  Big one here -
something may be up, or forces lilo to overwrite stuff no matter what.
Perhaps using fdisk (linux version) can help out in fixing bad tables.

> now in the linux label part redhat didn't contain
> append="quiet devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi"
append passes parameters on to the kernel.  devfs is an "experimental"
feature of 2.4.  I haven't played around with it much.  Anyhow, the append is
added -after- lilo starts the kernel, so this shouldn't effect whether lilo
comes up in the first place or not on the system.

> it had
> append="hdb=ide-scsi"
The hdb is the second device on the primary controller.  The ide-scsi is
added in when you have an ide cdwriter, and it tells the ide driver to ignore
it so the scsi emulation can take over with the device.

> Those are the only differences other than the timeout part, they both
> contained "lba32" as well.
Ok, newer system, worked on one distro - not the other, so looks good to keep
it anyhow.

> Still no luck.  I never did add the append="quiet devfs=mount".  I wasn't
> sure what that was.  Any ideas?
Hmmmm..... perhaps grabbing the size of the disks and telling lilo -exactly-
where to put stuff instead of relying on the kernel (or bios) to autodetect
it.  Other than that, I'm running out of ideas.

--

J.R. Wessels
jwessels@xxxxxxxxxxx