[huskerlug] Re: Linux in a Windows domain?

  • From: "Martin Fournier" <martinsky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "amw" <amw18@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 16:40:22 -0500

Hum, I am no linux expert, but here is what I have done with my network so
far. I have a router that connects two windows machine and two linux
machine. I use a router so all my machines and my roomate's machine can
access the internet. I use Road Runner. The reason why I started to play
with linux was to have a web server. Then I wanted to experiment with ftp
server, then ssh server... and my last thing was to get Samba to work. Samba
is a freely available SMB server for UNIX With samba, I can access my linux
drive on my windows machine. It is like mapping a drive in windows. A router
like mine is about $80. I heard that you can network computer if you have
more than one nic on each machine but I never did that so I don't know how
to do it. A router is the easiest way if you ask me.

I hope that I was somewhat usefull,

If you have more specific question, I would be more than happy to help you
out,

Martin.