[huskerlug] Re: Fragmenting Linux is not the way to beat Apple | The Open Road - CNET News

  • From: Jim Worrest <jworrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 09:50:02 -0500

Yes, all very nice, and I don't mind trying out different stuff too, and
as I pointed out it was version of Mepis that ran on my Old Dell and not
Mint--pity in some respects, but one reason that Microsoft swept Linux
from the netbook market is because it didn't have it act together,
quickly enough.  Yes, no doubt Microsoft does have a knack of having a
very effective carrot and a stick policy, but that wasn't the entire
reason that Linux lost the netbook market.  It hasn't dominated the cell
phone market.  It shows if their incentive enough OSs like Linux can
make an important dent in a field, see the super computer messages I
left, especially the last one from the BBC.

Anarchy doesn't appeal to everyone, and sometimes not all change is
progress, as can be seen in the KDE GUI.  I think this fellow from CNET
was just advocating some order that was necessary to put up an effective
front to a Microsoft onslaught in a particular market.  No doubt,
anarchy will continue to reign in much of the Linux developers areas of
interest. ;-)