[huskerlug] Re: Fragmenting Linux is not the way to beat Apple | The Open Road - CNET News

  • From: Patrick <pberry26@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 05:16:20 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks. BUT, Linux is a fragmented group of 452 current Distros, and the
users/developers of the various Distros are NOT all about defeating commercial
proprietary nodes.
We are all about proliferation of our GOODNESS and SPECIAL SAUCE!  We intend
for EVERYONE to have many freely available FREE choices!  If one appliscation
or distro is not fully meeting my needs, I simply create, or find, another!

So, we desire that the embedded market for OSes actually become even more
diverse!  You want a Chevy, I want a Ford, while Nissan, Honda, Isuzu, Subaru,
and Toyota drive the market to develop quality, with economic choices coming
from Hyundai, Kia, and then, innovation must happen, both in cost reductions,
and in better technology, to meet consumer goals!

I buy old vehicles, very cheap, on Craigslist, or curbside,  and fix them up,
saving thousands!
My computers are second or third hand, and I am a river unto my tech/geek
friends!
Home furnishings and appliances are "refurbished" or from "Scratch and Dent
Sales".
My Mac Power PC, and 360 laser printer (both from 1992-1994!), and my G4, all
were "Found on Curb"!

All run PPC versions of Linux, or BSD.
This all still has a driving force on production of new goods!

--
P. Berry, USAF (Retired); KJ4JTK; http://ARRL.org
Linux User #65411 http://www.counter.li.org