[huskerlug] Re: DemoLinux Giveaway

  • From: "J.R. Wessels" <jwessels@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 13:48:21 -0500

About giving stuff away, I'll redo my brochures with updated info on Linux.
Also, I'll see about making a standard "HLUG Open Source CD" we can all burn
with goodies for Windows, Mac, and Linux.  Stuff I would include on the CD
would be:

Open Office
Gimp
Mozilla
Zsnes (without roms of course)
Freeciv
Freecraft
Gnu utilities
Freenet
Qcad

Please post on the list others you would think would be good to put on.

On Thursday 08 August 2002 11:52, you wrote:
> I just tried out DemoLinux, the distribution that doesn't require an
> installation.  This is N I C E .  This would be a  GREAT  giveaway item at
> the Big Red Welcome.  Why?  No installation required.  You don't have to
> remove the current operating system from your computer to use it; you
> simply pop in the CD and pray that your hardware supports it.  This worked
> very well on a desktop P3 I have, but not so well on a laptop.  KDE with a
> bunch of games...utiliites including the all-important Emacs.  If you want
> to save files and install software, you can do that, too.  It's
> Debian-based, so you have the beauty of apt-get at your disposal.  (I
> haven't yet learned the trick of installing software, I must admit.)
> Although it is a bit slow running from the CD, it is a good glimpse of a
> Linux system.

J.R. Wessels
jwessels@xxxxxxxxxxx