[huskerlug] Debian Package Managment

  • From: Shane Geiger <sgeiger@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 19 Aug 2002 12:49:36 -0500

I know I introduced several of you to Debian, so I thought I should pass along
this brief summary of the most commonly used package management commands.

In my estimation, the most commonly used package management commands (and are
therefore worth writing down):  "apt-get update" (run before installing
packages...but don't accidentally type "apt-get upgrade" or you will get a
surprise),  "apt-cache search <searchitem>", "apt-get install <packagename>",
"apt-cache show <packagename>", "dpkg -i <filetoinstall.deb>", "dpkg --list |
grep <searchterm>", "apt-get remove <package>", "apt-get remove --purge
<package>", "dpkg --listfiles <packagename>", "cd /; apt-setup", "dpkg -S
/path/to/file", and the ever-popular but dangerous "apt-get dist-upgrade".  If
you aren't familiar with one of these, consult the appropriate man pages.