[huskerlug] Re: BRW + First Meeting

  • From: Shane Geiger <sgeiger@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 19 Aug 2002 16:01:39 -0500

Cesar,

This sounds good.  I think a Debian NetInst installation (
http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/ ) would be very appropriate for this sort of
thing.  Let me think things over before I commit.  NetInst is very easy to use,
though, so perhaps someone out there would like to check it out and do a
presentation on it.  (The best ways to learn are to do and to teach.)

Ah...it would also be cool to demo jigdo (jigsaw downloader), which is the way
the Debian project is using to distribute their distribution.  Debian supports
more platforms than any other distribution--perhaps 10, IIRC.  Plus, the
distribution is now available on DVD.  What this means is that each official
Debian mirror will have to mirror 100 gigabytes of info.  Jigdo lessens the
load, allowing "pieces of the puzzle" to be downloaded from several servers
simultaneously.  (It then puts the puzzle together for you, and does an MD5Sum
to verify the image.

Feel free to start using jigdo right away by using these notes I made to
myself:  To install jigdo:  apt-get install jigdo-file    The manpage for
jigdo-file is a bit hefty.  Do "man jigdo-lite" for a quick intro to what you
need to download.  The actual download command requires a .jigdo URL, which you
can find from links at http://www.debian.org/CD/.  The syntax for downloading a
Woody ISO with jigdo-lite:  "jigdo-lite
http://us.cdimage.debian.org/jigdo-area/current/jigdo/i386/woody-i386-1.jigdo";
The jigdo-lite Web page:  http://home.in.tum.de/~atterer/jigdo/jigdo-lite.html