(no subject)

  • From: homeclinic-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 17:04:46 -0400 (EDT)

Dave werote:
>Hi Ken,

>This one's TRUE (don't ask me how I know!) But
>if it happens to you, just pickup a garden hose cap
>and screw it onto the valve to stop the leak.

>God bless,

Dave;

 I have it as being false but hold on..!
Residual sediment
particles may prevent the faucet valve
from re-seating properly upon closing, but it is still ok to drain out
sediment and if the valve leaks, the valve washer can  be
replaced.

Actually the answer I found was false, but after taking a look at some of
the faucets on hot water heaters some of them might not have a washer that
is so easy to replace, or you might have to replace the whole valve, (some
are plastic, making it more difficult) so
I think it is only fair to accept that the answer could also be  true.

That was a good tip about using a garden cap to stop a pesty leak if the
valve does not close all the way.

 Ken (list owner)

>This month I have a true or false question about your hot water heater.
>Post the correct answer to the list if you know it.

If you do not open the drain valve at the hot water heater tank bottom
drain outlet to let out loose sediment often, it is recommended that you do
not drain any water from this valve at all because residual sediment
particles may prevent the faucet valve from re-seating properly upon
closing the drain, thus creating a permanent leak.

^
View the Archives at //freelists.org/archives/homeclinic