[hllug] Re: dual boot XP/U-10.04

  • From: hc@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:51:56 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Lee, right after getting the links to read I saw Update wanted so I oked
and it hung asking if I wanted to bypass guub since it could not do it's update
I said 'Y' and it lost grub I wind up with a command line saying 'grub restore'
but any command 'grub... returns command not found so I did try to restore it
with sabayon but it failed to work booted same.

the root partition is sda6
I used< mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/Sabayon
grub-install /dev/sda

I saw another post where a dude had the 2nd command

chroot /mnt/sabayon .... then the grub command.

I am gonna try that when I move the power brick back to the RV, I am usind the
Celf in the GH I should get the replacement brick tomorrow. LOL no rain in
weeks so dunno if when it rains it pours fits or not... I sweating it out since
only water is catchment rain and I am down to 70gl left and takes 5gl a day min
so I have to haul water in two weeks if no rain only mile away but van can only
support 100gl of weight altho if I drive slow I can squeeze 150gl per trip.
However I have to find why the van will not start I suspect the points but
pulling the doghouse and getting to the engine is tough straigh on me so I
hoping I don't have to work on it.

Anyway if u know a slick way of getting grub repaired please tell me. I do have
system rescue and several other live CDs knoppix  all are bit outdated think
the sys-res is ver 2.1.1 and I have two of Knoppix. I confess I do not
understand how to use them very well I thought the Knoppix was easier but I can
see the screens better the sys-res comes up so tiny print that I can't read
without a m-glass or if it will allow me to do ctl+, didn't work with sys-res.
Thanks a lot Lee
hh