[hllug] Re: dual boot XP/U-10.04

  • From: hc@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 14:29:41 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Lee, top posting this.

Update is I am almost back all way and hope to get back to reading on the
'backup' new power brick came in so I got the GH box back up AKA celf, Dell is
belf & this box is aelf. So all ready to set all 3 up to do the resync soon as
I understand what the heck I am doing. I had to stop for a week from side
effects, doc tried new drug to control my pain but were too severe, had to
stop, and withdrawal is a pure bitch. Sadly drug did work but.....

Would u please give me the code to auto mount my usb drive it got lost in that
update and I am so dingy I can't follow the How-tos. Very nervous messing wi
the sys boot anyway. I would appreciate it greatly I want it in dir
/home/herb/flash.

Thanks big,  bro!
hh

On 04/22/2011 04:51 PM, hc@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hey Lee, right after getting the links to read I saw Update wanted so I oked
> and it hung asking if I wanted to bypass guub since it could not do it's
> update I said 'Y' and it lost grub I wind up with a command line saying 'grub
> restore'
> but any command 'grub... returns command not found so I did try to restore it
> with sabayon but it failed to work booted same.
>
> the root partition is sda6
> I used<  mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/Sabayon
> grub-install /dev/sda
>
> I saw another post where a dude had the 2nd command
>
> chroot /mnt/sabayon .... then the grub command.
>
> I am gonna try that when I move the power brick back to the RV, I am usind
> the Celf in the GH I should get the replacement brick tomorrow. LOL no rain
> in weeks so dunno if when it rains it pours fits or not... I sweating it out
> since only water is catchment rain and I am down to 70gl left and takes 5gl a
> day min so I have to haul water in two weeks if no rain only mile away but
> van can only support 100gl of weight altho if I drive slow I can squeeze
> 150gl per trip. However I have to find why the van will not start I suspect
> the points but pulling the doghouse and getting to the engine is tough
> straigh on me so I hoping I don't have to work on it.
>
> Anyway if u know a slick way of getting grub repaired please tell me. I do
> have system rescue and several other live CDs knoppix  all are bit outdated
> think the sys-res is ver 2.1.1 and I have two of Knoppix. I confess I do not
> understand how to use them very well I thought the Knoppix was easier but I
> can see the screens better the sys-res comes up so tiny print that I can't
> read without a m-glass or if it will allow me to do ctl+, didn't work with
> sys-res.
> Thanks a lot Lee
> hh

Here's some good info on how to restore Grub giving you a couple of
options. Easiest way is to boot Linux on your hard drive with the Rescue
CD and then just install grub; no chroot is required in this case.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-Partitioning-EN-Repairing-a-damaged-Grub