[hllug] Resurrection?

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:24:34 -0600

Resurrection>

Some of you are aware that I seeming lost 2 more disk drives on the LUG
File Server shortly before Don's Saturday HLLUG meeting at the Lakeshore
Library. I was packing up to leave for the meeting when I shut down the
file server and got a DMA memory & IRQ error on the 2 drives connected to a
PCI IDE controller. One drive was part of the RAID1 and the other was a
60GB for the distro storage. When I rebooted the system, neither drive was
detected as present. This problem had occurred before and left the drives
unusable. At this point I was ready to follow Cranz's method of disposal,
"throw the thing in the lake"!

After researching the cost of what my dream system would cost, I decided to
give the old machine one more try. Booting it up again, the drives repeated
the behavior of not being reported. I was beginning to think that perhaps
the cause was different this time; maybe the PCI IDE Disk controller had
failed. I had a 2nd card so I removed the existing one and replaced it and
then rebooted the machine. I was pleased to see that both drives were now
detected and the machine was up and running as though nothing had happened;
even the RAID was fully operational.

So, the LUG File Server has been resurrected once again. Now to see if it
can stay healthy until the next meeting!

My next project is the get the firewall and ip-forwarding working between
the wired and  wireless Ethernet ports. Once this is working I will install
the HLLUG website on the machine with the new theme Lisa made for us. Once
the website has been debugged it will be uploaded to the website.

--
Lee Parmeter
http://www.bubbasgeek.com

"When it comes to Vista: just say NO! If you're not ready for Linux, buy a
MAC!" - Lee Parmeter