[hllug] Re: Reinstalling an app

  • From: Stevie <slider2tx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 21:33:04 -0600

Hi Herb,

I thought that I would give you an additional idea, but slightly different
in respect that after purging or re-installation of a program one might
still have problems making it run or behave correctly.  :-)

Please note that when using the "reinstall" or "purge" commands, only files
that are "global system" owned are handled. "User" config files which keep
information specific to your user settings are used to reproduce the
environment variables that you set. They are kept in
"~/.directory_name_here". In case you don't know, "~/" = your
"/home/user_name" directory. You must have your file browser set to show
"hidden files" in order to see these (although I believe that you know about
this already from what you wrote above).

If a program does not want to work properly *after* being purged or
reinstalled, this usually means that it's config file in your home
folder/directory is probably corrupt. Renaming the file in question will
usually test the issue, as a new program config file will be auto-generated
at the start of the program. Simply restart the program after renaming the
config file to see. One might even try this first before removing the entire
program, as this can sometimes fix many issues.

An important thing to remember when purging, removing, or reinstalling
programs is that your "home user" directory remains untouched. If a programs
old config file located in this directory is indeed corrupted, this
corruption will be passed on to the new program even if it has been
reinstalled or purged globally.

I hope that this may help you or anyone else in the future if the need ever
arises.  :-)

Slider
Proud user of Linux Mint /KDE operating system
http://www.linuxmint.com/