[hllug] Re: One Package Manager?

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:38:45 -0600

Don Crowder wrote:
> Lee Parmeter wrote:
>> Here's an interesting idea! What do you think?
>>
>> "Developers from RedHat, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mandriva and
>> Mageia got together last week at the SUSE office in Nürnberg to
>> discuss how
>> they might implement a universal application installer they are referring
>> to as an Application Store."
>>
>> http://ostatic.com/blog/one-package-manager-for-them-all
>
> I think it'd be terrific though it might lead to some problems when
> inexperienced users add some other distro's repo to their package
> manager thinking they'll be able to install a software that's not in the
> repo of their distro.

This post by Susan Linton on Jan. 25, 2011 explains the concept pretty well:
"The way I understand it, only the location of the actual package, package
information (software name, description, writers, etc), icons, probably
format, location (repository url), and such will be housed by AppStream
servers. The actual package will remain on original repository.
Participating distributions will have to include a .desktop file with the
needed data for AppStream to collect and display for users. I guess in
essence, AppSteam is a database cluster. The AppStream front-end, probably
based on Ubuntu Software Center, will not actually do the installation, but
instead use packagekit to instruct the particular system package management
to do the installation, be it APT, RPM, or whatever."

So, I think if it is designed in this manner, the user won't be able to
"screw it up" as all the code will come from his own repo's anyway. The
install interface is would just be common and give synergy to the
installation process from a user perspective. It would allow the user to
see comments and ratings of the APP from the entire Linux community and
help him make a decision concerning whether to install the APP.

Fedora and I believe some other distributions are using packagekit which is
able to build almost any type of package (.deb, rpm, tar, and etc).

--
Lee Parmeter
http://www.bubbasgeek.com

"When it comes to Vista: just say NO! If you're not ready for Linux, buy a
MAC!" - Lee Parmeter
"God is not a republican or a democrat nor is His government a democracy!"
- Lee Parmeter