[hllug] Lake Pollution Avoided: DSL Running on IBM ThinkPad 380D

  • From: Cranz Nichols <wb5bkl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LIST - HLLug <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:46:54 -0600

After lots of help and several trials and tribulations, I have DSL
running successfully on the ~1997 IBM ThinkPad 380D.

I admit to HLLUG members that my son Ian also recommended that I throw
it in the lake when he first saw it.

I will try to document what I did later - and will include the errors
that I made.  There were several.  Maybe a lot of errors.  OK, dozens.

I have learned several things (and enjoyed myself):

        There is a lot of information out there about DSL and some about
        the ThinkPad 380D, but the combination of DSL running on a 380D
        is relatively rare.

        I know that cfdisk is my friend - and nemesis.

        I now know a lot more about GRUB and I am pretty impressed with
        its utility.

        I now know how to calculate GRUB VGA "cheatcodes" from
        hexadecimal (see note #1).

        I now know that DSL's utilities for starting and configuring X
        do not operate intuitively.

Thanks to Lee for his encouragement, his recollection that color depth
was an issue and loan of the IDE adapter.  Thanks to John for tipping me
over the edge with his autopsy of the ThinkPad (see note #2).  And
finally, thanks to Ian for his help in reassembly and encouragement to
persist when X would not start properly.

cln
Meanest IBM ThinkPad 380D Owner on Lake Buchanan

Note #1:  This knowledge, along with knowledge of slide rule, vacuum
tubes and Morse code seem to make me a codger.

Note #2:  John:  Ian and I want to know where the spring went - or did
you just drop it in the bag to torment us?