[hipl-users] Re: profiling HIPL

  • From: 阮绍臣 <ruanshaochen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 15:05:37 +0800

2010/4/1 Miika Komu <miika.komu@xxxxxxx>

> On 01/04/10 06:15, 阮绍臣 wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I guess this email isn't about "profiling" HIP as the topic misleadingly
> suggests :)
>

> Hi all:
>> Thanks for your help last time. I have got some new questions about hipl:
>> 1. If I don't add map <peer HIT> <peer_locator> in
>> hipd_config,when I execute "ping6 PEER_HIT", there is no response
>> in hipd or ping.
>>  If I add the map, and then it's working. But I want to test our own
>> DNS HIT_TO_LOCATOR query.
>>

> while it's perfectly ok to add the mapping to hipd_config, I would suggest
> to have in the /etc/hosts and/or /etc/hip/hosts files. This and other
> methods are described in the manual:
>
> http://hipl.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/ch04.html#sec_easy_methods
>
> Thanks for your patience.I'm sorry for use the wrong topic.
My point is that if my host doesn't configure the peer_HIT_TO_IP map, hipd
would trigger the query for DNS when I ping6 the peer HIT.
But when I ping6 the peer HIT, hipd doesn't  send the query or trigger base
exchange.Do I have to configure the map in the /etc/hosts and/or
/etc/hip/hosts files before I want to communicate with peer host.

> If you want to use DNS, you should either:
>
> 1. Add the HI record to DNS: http://hipl.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/ch05s02.html
> 2. Run the DNS proxy at the client:
> http://hipl.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/ch05.html#sec_dns_proxy
> 3. Use a hostname for the client side application (ping6) rather than HIT.
>
> or if you prefer using HITs directly in the application, you can use the
> free hit-to-ip service as instructed in the manual:
>
> http://hipl.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/ch05s03.html
>
> Notice that it is possible to contact us if you want to your HI record in
> our DNS server. If you want your own DNS server (with possible hit-to-ip
> support), you need install and run e.g. bind.
>
> Perhaps the easiest way to use applications with either hostnames or HITs
> is to use the DHT for storing and querying:
>
> http://hipl.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/ch05s04.html
> http://hipl.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/ch05s04.html#id2805835
>
> Setting up an own DHT server based on openlookup v2 is more trivial than
> setting up bind.
>

> 2. It's about agent: how could I delete some HITs in the database. I
>> can't delete them in hip manager.
>>

> You have probably encountered a bug. The agent is not our primary focus at
> the moment, perhaps you could offer a bug fix for it?
>
> Samu, do you have any time to look at this?
>

> 3. if I modify the prefix of HIT, for example:2001:001a:1234::/28,
>> a:1234 is the domain tag I added. Would it affect hipl's working?
>> Did the change of HIT affect the SA setup?
>> thanks a lot!
>>

> You should have a longer prefix than 28 then, right?
>
> yes, it should be 2001:001a:1234::/48. I will try your suggestion. I'm
pleased to talk to you.

--
阮绍臣