[hipl-dev] Re: interop with OpenHIP failing due to UPDATE packets

  • From: Samu Varjonen <samu.varjonen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:21:23 +0200

18.1.2011 18:47, Samu Varjonen kirjoitti:
18.1.2011 17:39, Ahrenholz, Jeffrey M kirjoitti:
RFC 5201 defines type 1 locator and it does not include SPI.

I can't find the LOCATOR parameter in RFC 5201 (base).

I've been looking at RFC 5206 (mobility).

Typo :) that was what I meant.

Section 4.2 defines the Locator Type 0 with just IPv6 or IPv4-in-IPv6
address format, and states "This locator type is defined primarily for
non-ESP-based usage." I'm not sure what that usage is, so we were only
using Locator Type 1.

The Locator Type 1 is defined in Section 4.2 as concatenation of ESP
SPI and the address. Note that the SPI is not shown in Figure 12.

RFC 5770 Section 5.7 defines type 2 locator which
includes priority and SPI.

I haven't been looking at RFC 5770 Section 5.7, thanks for the
pointer. It is interesting that Figure 9 shows the sub-fields of
Priority, SPI, and Address. It looks like RFC 5770 just defines
Locator Type 2 without mention of types 0 and 1.

In the capture file
it looks like the locators contain IPv6 addresses (3ffe::5?)
and contain
priority and SPI but are marked to be type 1 locators while
they should be type
2 locators. Am I missing something here?

The first UPDATE in the capture file has locator type 1 with the SPI
of 0x518230e3 and the address 3ffe::5. There are no Priority,
Transport Port, Transport Proto, or Kind fields (RFC 5770) present.
The Traffic Type, Locator Type, Locator Length, Reserved, and Locator
Lifetime field are correctly displayed.

OK, I'll look again.

OK, I missed an important part of the RFC 5206

"
4.2.  Locator Type and Locator

   The following Locator Type values are defined, along with the
   associated semantics of the Locator field:

   0:   An IPv6 address or an IPv4-in-IPv6 format IPv4 address [RFC4291]
      (128 bits long).  This locator type is defined primarily for non-
      ESP-based usage.

   1:   The concatenation of an ESP SPI (first 32 bits) followed by an
      IPv6 address or an IPv4-in-IPv6 format IPv4 address (an additional
      128 bits).  This IP address is defined primarily for ESP-based
      usage.
"
I will fix this and I will send a message to the HIP WG and propose that the Figure 6 in RFC 5206 (bis) would be clarified so that this detail would be clearer.

BR,
Samu

-Jeff