[hipl-dev] Re: interop with OpenHIP failing due to UPDATE packets

  • From: René Hummen <rene.hummen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:29:47 +0100

Hello Jeff,

On 07.01.2011, at 18:16, Ahrenholz, Jeffrey M wrote:
> Greetings HIPL team,
> I've been doing some interoperability testing lately using the HIPL bzr
> nightly snapshot from 20110106 and the SVN version of OpenHIP. Good news is
> that BEX works well with IPv4, IPv4 over UDP, and IPv6.

Good :-)

> Next I've tested initiating a mobility event from OpenHIP to HIPL (by
> switching IPv6 addresses) which is not working properly. There seems to be a
> problem with the UPDATE packet. Attached is a wireshark pcap trace showing
> the successful BEX, ESP, but then some failed UPDATEs. (3ffe::4 is HIPL,
> 3ffe::5 -> 3ffe::6 is OpenHIP.)
>
> The issue seems to be with the SEQ parameter sent from HIPL with length=8.
> Normally this length=4 since the update ID is a 32-bit value. I briefly
> looked at the HIPL code noting that hip_build_param_seq() uses struct
> hip_seq, which properly has a size of 8 bytes, so I'm not sure what is going
> on. The 4 extra bytes following the update ID seem random.

I committed two fixes to UPDATEs in HIPL that fix i) the issue described to the
update ID as described by you (also applies to ack) and ii) another issue where
IPsec SPs and SAs would not match after an UPDATE process. I didn't check
interoperability with OpenHIP, but I assume that mobility UPDATEs will be fully
functional now. Please, let me know if this is not the case.

Thanks for the bug report,
René

--
Dipl.-Inform. Rene Hummen, Ph.D. Student
Chair of Communication and Distributed Systems