[HFbeacons] Re: 17:30z 12/26/13 EM12nx Carrollton,Texas

  • From: "W. Keith Hibbert" <wkhibbert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 18:08:53 -0500

Hi Doc. Keith here in Amherst.

WA4SZE's video on the 1940's style 4-Beam Beacon specifically states that he is
running a pair of transmitters. One is keyed with an N, the other with A.

It's a nifty demo,  but should not be in the 10 Meter & 30 Meter amateur
bands...

73, Keith, WB2VUO

Sent from my NOOK

"Tom "Doc" Gruis, KØHTF" <k0htf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Good afternoon Keith and Robert.

Are you referring to the olde directional LW / MF "radio range stations?"
They had five towers with the center one always on and AM on the carrier for
traffic control and weather. The others then made the signal very
directional sending "A" on two legs and "N" on the other two.  IF you were
"on the beam" then you hears a steady 1,020 Hertz tone (60 Hz X 17). If
memory serves correctly this was classified as "A-9" transmission.  If there
were two "exciters" feeding one mixer / amplifier it would seem that it
would just be one transmitter.  IF there are two transmitters on site you
concern would be spot on.

Wow - a lot of "ifs" in that paragraph.

I experimented with scheme on the Part 15 160-190 KHz. band years ago,
keeping the input to the single final below the 1 Watt limit.

That was fun for me to reminisce a little bit!

Doc.