[HUG ] Re: AW: Re: It's a sad Hasselblad day........

  • From: "Q.G. de Bakker" <qnu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hasselblad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 23:25:38 +0100

Ulrik Neupert wrote:

Hello Q.G.,
you know that these lenses are very old and none of them was without need of
major service. My 5.6/60 mm lenses are from 1958 and 1961, the 4.0/60 is
from 1962. I bought one of them in combination with a 553 ELX. For reasons
far beyond me the sight of a EL.. camera lets buyers stay away from such
nice items.

A 1958 60 mm would fit my 500 C from that year very well.
So, since you have two... ;-)

I am a bit puzzled about that service thing. The lenses i bought obviously had had a previous life spanning some decades. And though i of course don't know anything about that previous life, they all came to me in excellent condition. The only mechanical flaw among them is the 'hanging diaphragm' in the 80 mm lens (it will not open completely for viewing at f/2.8, though it will when you fire the shutter at f/2.8. So only a minor problem). The barrels too are very clean. They aged a bit, i.e. show that they are not new, but no scratches to speak of. The 60 mm lenses however... Beaten up and bruised. And indeed in need of major service.

Could be because there are far fewer of them than of any other C lens, and while i could ignore the also abundant beaten up, malfunctioning samples of those, it's hard to find a C non-f/3.5 60 mm lens at all, let alone be picky about them. But i am (picky). I don't want a lens just to know i own one. It has to work, and work properly too. And it has to look good as well. (And i even pass on lenses with imperial unit distance scales. Have to be metric for me.)

You're right about the EL-models. Surprisingly cheap, oftentimes.
But i noticed there are quite a few among them that are not worth even the little money that is asked for them. Now if my EL-repair skills would be a bit better than they are, i could have the time of my life.