[hashcash] Re: hashcash-1.15 released

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:30:42 -0500

Jonathan Morton wrote:

To make life easier for users, how about naming them -turbo, -normal, and -compact? I don't think -normal stamps are visually "too big" for most people, so that's another argument against trying to make -compact stamps faster. Especially if it would potentially make -turbo slower.

if we have three types of stamps, it's important to characterize the cost differential between them especially when receiving filters must recognize all three forms. If people start using slow/compact stamps and do not have an economically appropriate postage level, spammers will gain an advantage and use fast stamps to increase their delivery rate which increases the number of responses and correspondingly their revenue.

---eric

--
http://www.salon.com/books/review/2004/12/18/heloise/index.html

The basis of Abelard's philosophy, which he taught to Heloise, was
that logic had to be applied to religion in order to arrive at the
truth.