[hashcash] Re: hashcash v1 questions

  • From: Justin <justin-hashcash@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 05:13:20 +0000

On 2004-05-31T23:16:56-0400, Hubert Chan wrote:
> Since the bitcount is part of the token, you can't change the bitcount
> without messing up the hash.  (i.e. the leading bits won't be 0 any
> more.)

Yeah, of course.  Silly me.  And treating purposefully deflated bitcounts
as real bitcounts makes the other half of my question irrelevant.

Can't the counter be abused by starting it at an arbitrary value?  If it's
used for filtering, inflating the counter gives the sender an advantage.

--
"Not your decision to make."
"Yes.  But it's the right decision, and I made it for my daughter."