[hashcash] Re: example v1 stamp

  • From: Hubert Chan <hubert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:46:42 -0400

>>>>> "Adam" == Adam Back <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

[...]

Adam> I think reason to have a delimiter between the two halves is so
Adam> that the recipient can tell where one ends and the other begins.

Does the recipient even need to care about the random field?  I'm
thinking that for information purposes, the recipient only cares about
the first five fields (up to and including the extension).  Anything
after that, the application can put anything it wants to (anything
allowed in an e-mail header, and non-whitespace) including a :, and the
recipient only cares about that part for purposes of detecting
duplicates.

From what I can tell, for Perl and C, allowing any character in the
random field doesn't make parsing any harder, since you just do standard
left-to-right parsing, and stop parsing after the 5th :.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@xxxxxxxxx> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA