[hashcash] Re: Hashcash and Bcc/envelope recipients

  • From: Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:52:55 -0600

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:37:04PM +0100, Adam Back wrote:
> The mail hub however then delivers the mails onwards and if multiple
> recipients are at the same domain may deliver them individually or as a
> group.  As you cant control what the mail hub does, defensively you have to
> deliver Bcc recipients separately and individually with a stamp for them.
>
> And the other recipients as a single group.

I was worried about this. So, at this point, I don't wish to send 10
emails, just because i have 10 recipients in Bcc:. So, I guess I'll just
ignore Bcc: altogether.

> The problem with using the From address (I think most/all of the current
> clients dont do that) is that its not unique to the recipient.  So a spammer
> could create one spam and send it to millions of people and they'd all think
> the stamp looked valid and they hadnt seen it before.

Of course. That's what I was thinking. I was just trying to figure out a
nice way to handle Bcc:, but I don't think it's something I can implement
cleanly, so I'll just ignore Bcc: altogether. In all reality, I don't use
Bcc: much anyway, and when I do, even though it's not proof of work, the
recipient can verify my OpenPGP signature, and trust that I, not a spammer,
sent the message, which is what I've been doing for years at any event.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o