[harbor] MIDS - IPOD's NightMare

  • From: "Johnny Kewl" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <harbor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 05:45:02 +0200

Damn I like these things...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufRP3_wWHU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFj5DBxjgr8

Diff Package
http://www.umpcportal.com/

But I'm not sure about the biz model...

Moblin is an open source project but Aigo is in bed with vodophone, so I guess you will only get the device form a cell phone outlet and dev pay to put apps on it... I've already seen mailing lists where guys are hacking the Aigo, just to get to the bios, so I guess there is no chance of a dev kit... The linux it comes with is called midinux... doesnt even have an english manual, I actually dont even think you can buy it.... its pay to play scheme...

Currently you could buy a small car at the price they coming out at...

The PC in a Pocket is here... but the cell networks have got em by the balls...

This is what now fascinates me... I've always seen Java and Microsoft as arch enemies... but microsoft is actually the one that seems to be adopting the biz model... "let the user buy the thing and load whatever they want".... so intel/vodo's/cell people are shutting microsoft out, they want to sell the hardware to you, sell the software to you, make you pay for bandwidth, and give you permission to watch a blue movie... its madness.

Its weird but Java and Microsoft are actually best friends... they just dont know it yet ;) The real enemy... is greedy networks... they want a part of everyones business.

So ... it looks like Aigo/Midinux/Moblin... you not free... if you want to control everything a person does with their device... its not going to work.

So... what do we do... and where are we going to find a box that says... buy me and then you can do whatever you want... Sure moblin is open source... but I'm not sure that applies to the whole value chain... like maybe it just wont do GMS/HSP if it doesnt come from vodaphone ;)
Its a mad world...

Still learning here... but whatever we target will be a waste of time on a cell network biz model... greedy bastards ;) I cant get an answer out of Aigo or Intel... so I assume they lying through there teeeth... if we develop on this open source project... we also going to have to pay voda - rip for the privilege.

Go microsoft... force the pc model on the world... its a lot better than "cell - rip" ;)
The only real POJO Application Server.