[openbeos] Re: wxWidgets, was: Re: Pe in SVN ?

  • From: Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:03:50 -0700

Ok. I just thought, but probably I am not the only one, that if we start porting
 lots and lots of apps and/or toolkits, we just become another OS.

<snip>

Anyhow, from a user perspective, I would love to have access to much
of the same software I can get on Windows and Linux and OS X... just
because it was primarily built to run on another OS doesn't make it
bad software.

I agree , I'd love to have Pe available on another platform. I'm currently using XP while I await Haiku; BeOS and Haiku won't run on my current machine at all.

(Although I do have a VMware setup with a R5/Haiku dual boot system. A few times a month I update my code base and rebuild Haiku, just to follow the progress.)

Even if we're running the same program, be it via wxWidgets or Tk or whatever, the OS it's running on does make a difference; I actually installed Litestep and made my own custom theme to make XP act just a little like BeOS. I didn't like BeOS for the apps available on it, I liked it for the way it functioned.

On another topic, I want to thank everyone who's been working on Haiku. Although I am a programmer, I don't have the time to work on it myself right now (or the experience, really, to work on an OS), but I am certainly glad there are people doing something to revive BeOS.

I'm going back to school (for a masters program) this fall, and once I'm not working full-time any more, I might be able to help out a bit. (With small things, to start with). Although my emphasis will be in computational linguistics, it will be a computer science degree, so perhaps I'll even be able to finagle credit for working on Haiku for some of my classes.