[openbeos] Re: wxWidgets, was: Re: Pe in SVN ?

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:59:23 +0100 CET

> On 14/02/2008, Finn Bastiansen <beos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Francois,
> >
> >  hm, that's interesting, I didn't know about it :-)
> >  I will have to ask the other guys. Or maybe some other person has
> > taken
> >  over the project.
>
> Actually I was wondering, why porting a UI toolkit to Haiku?
> Isn't the Haiku native one good enough?

Because many specialized or professional apps are written for them.
Some niche stuff (scientific apps, ... SciLab uses Tcl/Tk) use them for
their GUI, and they are just too complex to rewrite or even write a
native GUI.
Having ports of those toolkits should allow real companies to port
their software and us to focus on wider apps.
That doesn't mean we will use them for native apps, just for porting
some stuff faster and concentrate on others.

Plus unlike many, wx tries to use native controls as much as possible.

> Ps. I'm finally back with a internet connection after 3 weeks!

Welcome back :)

François.