[openbeos] Re: sys/stat.h and related commits

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 19:38:05 +0200 CEST

"Andrew Bachmann" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> While going through the posix headers I was fairly distressed to see
> the
> extent to which OS.h has been inherited, primarily because of its
> inclusion
> in sys/socketvar.h.  It can not be removed from sys/socketvar.h
> because
> sys/socketvar.h uses semaphores.

Yes, as Philippe already pointed out, that file doesn't belong in a
public place - problem solved.

> I would like to float a proposal to move some subparts of OS.h into
> separate files that can be included directly. (and would also be
> included
> by OS.h, of course)  For example, perhaps these could be together in
> header, (KernelTypes.h?) preferably defined in terms of <sys/types.h>
>
> instead of SupportDefs.h:
>
> typedef int32 area_id;
> typedef int32 port_id;
> typedef int32 sem_id;
> typedef int32 team_id;
> typedef int32 thread_id;

Dunno how useful that is - if you are going to have sems and ports in
your structures, you may want to use the corresponding functions as
well.
Do we have to do this now? At least, I never had many issues with it
when porting software, only "bool" was problematic once (but that could
be solved as well).

Anyway, there is at least one possible problem I am not so happy about
with your latest changes:

# ifndef _STDDEF_H /* This is what GCC defines */
#  include_next <stddef.h>
# endif /* _STDDEF_H */

That's what BeOS stddef.h header looks like. stddef.h is part of the
GCC distribution, and I think we should use that one as well.
I haven't tried building the tree on other platforms since you made
your changes, but I am pretty sure at least glibc doesn't like them
(and that one alone is worth keeping the BeOS way).

Adios...
   Axel.