[openbeos] Re: openbeos Digest V2 #33

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:45:11 EST (-0500)

> >I've looked at the way BONE was designed, and although it may be
> > fast,
> >it is quite ugly.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what about BONE struck you as ugly?  All I
> know
> about BONE is what I read in the Be Newsletter article that came out
> about
> it, and as I recall it sounded quite nice to me...

Well, first of all, it's OOP in C, which is often a recipe for
ugliness. The code I've seen (*not* leaked, the sample headers that
were released) was a complete mess. Also, doing things in the kernel
meant not really being able to interact with user-space apps. For
instance, a net_server addon I wrote once that monitored ethernet
activity put up a deskbar widget. BONE add-ons couldn't do that.
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

It shall be unlawful for any suspicious person to be within the
municipality.
                -- Local ordinance, Euclid Ohio