[openbeos] Re: non-present-posix-functions

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:41:12 +0100 CET

janvanhoye@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I port 'date' from NetBSD to OBOS. And I see that 'settimeofday'
> could not
> be found. When I look into 'sys/time.h' I see the function
> 'gettimeofday'
> and not 'settimeofday'. This is a problem. What I could do is import
> 'os/kernel/Os.h' and use the function 'set_real_time_clock'. But this
> makes
> it non posix compliant.
>
> My questions are: What do I have to do if some posix functions are
> not
> present in the posix headerfiles of OBOS? Are we going to make OBOS
> more
> posix compliant then BeOs and implement those posix functions that
> are not
> present. Is there someone that can give me an good explanation of
> what has
> to be done when a posix function is not present in a posix header-
> file?

First of, you're wrong; at least with settimeofday() - that is no POSIX
function, it's a proprietary BSD extension.

Have a look at:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/toc.htm
to see what functions are part of POSIX and are sensitive to be added
into our repository (if they are missing).

Although we are okay supporting some BSD extensions, I don't think
settimeofday() should be one of those. So I'd say either use the GNU
date as Be did, or port it over to be Be native (and lose simple
updates that way).
Since these applications aren't changed that often anymore, I don't
care about a particular way between these two. Using GNU date might be
less effort, though.

Bye,
   Axel.