[openbeos] Re: kernel memory limit

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:19:27 +0200 (CEST)

En réponse à Imre Leber <imre.leber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > Hi,
> >
> > some time ago i read on osnews.com a story about beos, and someone
> mentioned
> > that R5
> > has a memory addressing limit of 1 GB. someone else(i think it was
> eugenia)
> > mentioned that it would be extremely difficult to change this.
>
> Very strange indeed since the real addressing range of a pentium 2 is 36
> Gb
> RAM. Strange if there would be something in the BeOS architecture that
> would
> prohibit the use of more memory. Maybe it is just a problem with the
> BeOS
> kernel that does not need to be reproduced in newos.
>
> Otherwise this is probably because of an addressing scheme where
> something
> vital needs to be at the (linear, physical, logical) address 1Gb. Then
> you
> could split program space and start assigning memory again at 2Gb.

BeOS, (and currently NewOS as well), uses the kernel side of the virtual
space (a program's 4G), to map many things, among which is the physical
RAM, as well as video framebuffer.
The kernel portion of the virtual space is 2G, so, in these 2G we need to
fit the physical RAM and many other things...

Don't fear, Linux had this problem for years too, it went over,
so can we.

François.