[openbeos] Re: kernel memory limit

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 01:09:10 +0200 CEST

"Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Michael Phipps wrote on Mon, 02 Jun 2003 18:03:03 -0400:
> > There will be a kernel virtual space that is mapped into every
> > process. How big
> > this is is yet to be determined. Let's say, for the sake of
> > arguement, it is 1 gb.
> > This means that you (the user) can have an amount of mapped memory
> > that
> > approaches 3 gb. Probably not quite all of that, but close.
> Grumble.  Smaller RAM disk size then, since it uses Kernel memory for
> simplicity
> (no need to explicitly map it for each different calling process -
> saves time and
> avoids an extra copy operation).

I think we will use the same as almost all other operating systems out
there, which is 2 GB for the kernel, and about the same amount for
userland apps.
I don't see a reason why we should change this - we are certainly not
the place for database applications that could need such an amount of
memory. That's what Solaris is good for, and even they normally have
that 2/2 split (though you can change it there to 3/1 as well).

Adios...
   Axel.