[openbeos] Re: font engine [was Re: Midi_server update]

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 17:53:04 +0200

Hi,

> PS: Something is wrong about the font engine: for small font size,
> characters
> sometimes are glued together, as in the Pulse CPU's "Mhz" in Greg's
> screenshots. Any idea why? (I used to look better before - and more compact,
> no?).

Nothing changed with the font engine recently. One problem is that only one
of the glyph spacing modes is currently supported/implemented. I think it
would be B_CHAR_SPACING (using the spacing embedded in the font file). The
spacing mode usually used in BeOS for the user interface is B_BITMAP_SPACING,
which basically means that there is always at least one empty row of pixels
between each glyph (my interpretation from BeBook). I plan to work again on
the font engine sometime later this year... It is also crucial for getting
more performance from the app_server when the drawing engine will be
refactored (to allow one instance per window thread).

Best regards,
-Stephan