[haiku] first impression of Haiku: looks good

  • From: Questioner X <questioner_x@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 17:51:47 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I tried the nightly build ISO Haiku on my Thinkpad T500 and it works pretty
well.

I did observe kernel panics twice though. The first was when I tried
to play a media file that's on a USB flash drive. I recovered from that
by typing "continue". The second was a FAT filesystem assertion failed
error also occurring when I was accessing that drive -- no recovery was
possible.

Otherwise I am very impressed, especially because I really appreciate the
cohesive look and feel.
Linux by comparison is so very annoying: the Linux look and feel is
never good no matter what settings or window manager I try. Haiku looks
good out of the box, no need for fiddling.

In addition, I like how responsive Haiku feels. It also seems to be
well organized, similar to OS/X. In many ways I feel that Linux by
comparison is a basket case, but I am not the first to complain about
Linux (see here
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.html).

So an alternative to Linux is appreciated.

Continuing with feedback...
One minor thing I noticed while playing around was that gcc seems to
have K&R as the default flavor rather than ANSI C. Not a big deal.

Lastly and most importantly, my wireless card is ignored. It's the
Intel 5100 AGN. Once wireless is working I will be able to run Haiku
continuously and think about porting some of my code to it. Wireless is
the deal-maker or deal-breaker. I can live with kernel panics but not
without Wifi.

Thanks,

-QX