[haiku] Re: Reducing paper waste at conferences

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 00:06:19 +0100

Charlie Clark wrote:
Am 13.12.2009, 15:45 Uhr, schrieb Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Well, it is an extremely complex problem... if one make it sound like it. If the discussion shifts from the original question "can we reduce the paper waste at conferences" to "how to solve the global ecological crisis". The latter is indeed off-topic, but i fail to see how the former is off-topic for this list. I mean, with who, and where should i discuss "the production of haiku fliers for conferences"? I can understand that i've been somewhat off-topicly interrupting an ongoing work, but i find it a bit insincere that some people hide behind the obvious complexity of the world instead of just saying they don't care. Business must go on :-/

Sorry, it's obviously my bad for conflating the two.

Well i don't blame you in particular, i know most of us sincerely want progress, sorry if i sounded harsh. It's just the global "there's no alternative" trend that is hard to hear for me. At least here i'm glad we moved from there to considering recycled paper.

Conferences almost by their very nature are resource intensive and you need promotional materials. In my view a flyer is a sine qua non here. I know its fashionable at conferences nowadays run live video links, wikis, tw*ts, etc. but it is difficult to beat having something in your hand. There is a difference between a one page flyer and a multipage brochure. Trying to print on recycled paper seems to me a good compromise.

Part of reducing the waste paper would be to limit any handouts and bring as just as many as are likely to be needed which is why I'm not a fan of producing as many as possible in one place for the sake of the volume discount and then shipping them around the world. It's probably also a good idea check with the organisers how they handle waste paper.

I'm hearing progress here :) I'll have a look to see if FOSDEM does something in that regard.

Regards,
Alex