[openbeos] Re: binary compatibility (was Re: BFS and encryption.)

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:21:23 CET

Hi Helmar :)

Good to see you're still actively involved in all this... However, if
even remotely possible, I would like to keep binary compatibility. This
will enable people to use _all_ programs currently available, and I
don't see for example a good replacement for Gobe comming around.....
This is just one example of a party which will need much convincing to
recompile _and support_ a new version.....

A lot can be improved with even breaking compatibility... I would even
say that a lot can be done without even changing the core of the BeOS
R5 distro :) All that is really needed (IMHO) is restore the faith Be
developers had in the continuation of the BeOS, that will motivate
people to work around the existing problems. I think a lot of people
got demotivated simply because Be wasn't doing anything (or so it
seemed to the outside world) on the BeOS front....

Regards,

Ithamar.

PS: (Partially) Breaking compatibility is always an option, if the BeOS
developers (both current, future, and possible old ones returning)
agree, but this is not really the moment to decide on that IMHO.