[openbeos] Re: BFS and encryption.

  • From: "Helmar Rudolph" <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:59:14 +0200

> > In this case im thinking, if it would be possible to have some form of
> > encryption added to the fs?
> > Ofcourse it would be a huge task, but im thinking it would be easier to
> > do now when your planing instead of later on.
>
> This is an interesting feature, but I don't see it as part of the R1
> release, sorry.

My personal take is that breaking binary compatibility at
this stage is not an issue as long as it leads to
significant improvements.

The BeOS 'as a whole' has been pretty idle, and developers
still active won't mind making the necessary changes to
cater for the broken compatibility - there aren't  many of
them to begin with.

The last thing I'd like to see is this: [x]BeOS gets revived,
gets reported about in the press, gets sold and marketed,
gains commercial developer support, resulting in many more
apps than we currently have and then _POOOFFF!!!_ a break in
binary compatibility is thrown at them. Rather do it now -
while things are slow and an opportunity to adapt or weed
out still exists - than doing it later, when you have
a momentum going that goes way beyond what OpenBeOS is doing.

What do you think?

Helmar

--
Sonork S.R.L. |  Professional Instant Messaging Software
Fast, secure, stable, powerful, easy to use, and frugal!