[openbeos] Re: big kernel move in the repository

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 03:26:02 +0200 CEST

"Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > For those that wonder, under Linux both Subversion and Jam are much
> > faster than they are on BeOS. Expect that to improve under Haiku ;-
> > )
> I almost don't dare ask you a question, because it distracts you from
> work on Haiku... :-) but how exactly can the Haiku BFS be improved in
> that regard? Or are there other factors that influence small file
> performance?

A binary compatible BFS will never be good with small files - the
indexes have too much overhead.
In Haiku, the situation will still be much better as it is in BeOS as
a) we will have a real cache, and b) the B+tree implementation is much
faster as well (mostly visible on write access, though).
However, I don't expect BFS competing with ReiserFS on this one - your
Linux box will always be faster there for now :-)

Bye,
   Axel.