[openbeos] Re: big kernel move in the repository

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 00:41:51 +0200 CEST

Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2005 8:53 PM, Mikael Jansson (mailing lists)
> <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > It definitely is superior - but what in the hell do you mean with
> > > "working moves"?
> > > In Subversion, a move is a combined copy+remove action.
> > Out of curiosity, is it -exactly- the same thing? And, in that
> > case, is
> > the version info kept in the copy?
> It copies the history. But in terms of bandwith and storage room, a
> move is not the same as copy+remove.

The only annoyance is on the client, the server handles this better.
Instead of copying (or even moving) the local files, I think it has to
download all the copied files from the server again which is kinda
stupid - but it works well, and as it's not a feature you use 3 times
every day, it doesn't matter if it's not as efficient as the rest.
For those that wonder, under Linux both Subversion and Jam are much
faster than they are on BeOS. Expect that to improve under Haiku ;-)

Bye,
   Axel.