[openbeos] Re: XML & OpenBeOS

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <dos4gw@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 18:08:56 +0000

fernando@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>What I say is that they are heterogeneous. Who remember what take the
>fourth field of the /etc/fstab file? Did you use : or tabs to separate
>fields in /etc/exports?
>
>If you prefer to achieve a BMessage in binary format or in another way,
>that is right, but I only ask you for an homogeneous format along all
>the OpenBeOS config files PLEASE!!!!

Ok, agreed. XML has many benefits. But It don't think it that important
to do it now. If you would go ahead and provide a simple XML class
that could be used for example storing settings, providing it with enough
virtual stuffing functions, and a lot of reserved space for variables,
we could perhaps starting to discuss how we can put this into the
OpenBeOS support kit.
But I see a problem here. This has not been done yet. Desiging a
flexible and future oriented XML class or kit it a lot of work.
It will take valueable resources away from the main goal
of the OpenBeOS project, creating a open source replacement.

regards
Marcus, media kit team leader