[haiku] Re: What happened to GOBE?

  • From: Gregor Rosenauer <gregor.rosenauer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 13:36:59 +0200

Gobe was really a shiny example of what could be done with BeOS
besides media - they were eons ahead of other office suites at that
time (only recently the usual suspects have added smooth zoom and
non-modal panels with instant feedback!), I was a loyal customer and
still feel sorry for Gobe's demise because of Be's downturn, they were
the last corner stone to fall apart back in 2000/2001 (from then on it
was sadly clear that BeOS would not return).

However, now my best bet is KOffice, which is already available
through the Qt port and has grown into a very capable, yet still
lightweight office suite that fits well into the BeOS/Haiku
philosophy. I'd rather work on improving integration with Qt and Haiku
instead of hoping for an OpenOffice port (brrr) or even something
native.
There has already been great progress on that front imo.

Gregor