[haiku] Re: Today REBOL R3 has been released Open Source

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:11:54 -0800

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 09:18:07PM +0100, Arnold wrote:
> 2012/12/12 scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Arnold <arnoldvanh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Today the creator of the REBOL language ( http://www.rebol.com/ ) has
> >> released the R3 sources as open source to the world under an Apache 2
> >> license.
> >>
> >> The road is free to bring this gem under the scripting/programming
> >> languages to HAIKU.
> >> https://github.com/rebol/r3
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Arnold
> >>

> > If you can put together a working .bep for it, we'd be glad to add it to
> > haikuports.
> >
> > -scottmc
>
> What is a .bep? A binary encoded package?
>
> You didn't even have a look at REBOL did you? LoL!
>
> Maybe someone else will be inspired, better jump on the rolling train
> before it speeds up to much. I definitely hope so. There are many
> chances to join in the development right now that might be way more
> interesting than joining in for HAIKU development and..
>
> There is even something way better up the barrel, that has pulled me
> away from HAIKU the last year or so.
>
> If the attitude is like well like bring it to me on a silver platter
> and then feed it to me with the golden spoon like seems to be the
> standard in youth in this era, so be it. Miss out if you prefer.
>
> Or the alternative, which is better, have a second look, get
> interested, want REBOL and what is in that barrel I mentioned for
> HAIKU too

Wow... do I dectect a strong streak of fanaticism here...? (:-/)

I'm afraid that REBOL is definitely a taste that may, or may not,
be acquired.  I remember getting really excited about the language
when it first came out, set about to really get into learning and
using it, ran into a barrelful of idiot-syncracies, argued about it
on the net, and eventually gave up in disgust.  Never have felt an
urge to go back.  (And sorry, no, it's too long ago to remember what
I actually disliked...)  Just maybe there's a reason it has been a
tiny niche for 15 years (:-/)

If you think REBOL would be a welcome facility on Haiku, then I'd
think it should be on you to show that.  I wouldn't oppose it;
wouldn't even mind being proven wrong; but the drive must come from
those who believe in it.

        -- Pete --