[haiku] Re: Time change philosophy

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 18:18:32 -0800

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 11:30:06PM +0100, François Revol wrote:

> > Hi Pete,
> >
> >> More curiosity than anything else, but why do BeOS and Haiku just
> >> *tell* you that your clock is wrong when there's a standard/daylight
> >> change, but Linux quietly resets the clock itself?  Is there some
> >> technical reason, or is it simply thought preferable to let the
> >> user know what's happening?  [I think I prefer the Linux way...]
> >
> > Have you considered what happens when you boot into Linux and then later
> > into Haiku or vice versa, if both of them changed the time silently? IMHO,
> > we should make it the standard behavior to update the time from the
> > network, but in case this is impossible, the current behavior would still
> > be the correct thing to do.
>
> Indeed, though multiboot is not generally done by normal users, it's really
> annoying for people with many OSes when they step on each other's toes.

I just tried rebooting into BeOS in my normally-Linux machine, and
it had the correct time without complaint.  But that machine has a UTC
hw clock.

Is it that you only get the pop-up if the hardware is on local time?
Just realized that both my BeOS and Haiku machines had a local-time clock.
[Not any longer... (:-/)]

I suppose it can use an offset if you have a fixed UTC clock, but not
if it's local...  Is there any reason at all for preferring the latter?

        -- Pete --