[openbeos] Re: Sunday amusement

  • From: John Tegen <john.tegen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Graham Gilmore ' <grahamg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,"'openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx '" <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 20:36:47 -0800

The Be API headers contain:
/********************************************************************
/
/       File:                   Button.h
/
/
/       Copyright 1992-98, Be Incorporated, All Rights Reserved
/
**********************************************************************/

This is a copyright notice.  For items published in the US after 1989, a
copyright notice is not required or any country that signed the GATT.
However, the notice is helpful for those that claim ignorance later.

We must assume the copyright was transferred to Palm upon purchase.  This
probably included trademarks (Be, Be Logo, Geek Port, etc) as well.

Copyright infringement is the unauthorized use of copyrighted work that
includes plagiarism.  There is an out that falls under "fair use", but OBOS
would probably not fall under that (educational purposes).  Plagiarism is
defined as passing off someone else's work as your own, whether word for
word (in the case of the header files) or merely the creative ideas (design,
icons).

I have a lawyer friend that specializes in technology law.  I will ask him
his thoughts on this.