[haiku] Re: State of Haiku QA

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 18:34:51 +0100

Hi,

> 2010/1/3 Dennis Catt <cattmail@xxxxxxx>:
> > Are Haiku developers afraid that adding QA to the mix could cause
> slowdowns
> > in releases?
> >

> > Are there no interests in formal QA testing for prepping for the R1
> > release??
>
> The answer to both questions is no. I think the question you want to
> ask is not whether there is any interest in formal QA, but why isn't
> there any sort of 'formal' QA implemented in Haiku. The answer that is
> ridiculously simple. Up to now no one has come up with a plan, and
> implemented it.

Not only that but although I have no doubt that a lot of testers are and would
be available, the problem is how much time the developers can spend on doing
anything with the test results. At the moment, more tickets are placed into our
bug tracker than the developers can keep up with. So it makes really no sense
at all to think about how we can formalize the testing and QA process. Again,
as Niels already pointed out, the problem is not lack of interest, but lack of
work force. That doesn't mean Haiku is not progressing, it simply means it is
progressing already as fast as possible with the given number of developers.

All that being said, the bug tracker is already an extremely useful tool for
doing QA and it is being used by the developers as much as they can. So it's
not like there is no QA at all. A lot of testers are putting in a lot of time
to provide valuable testing feedback in the form of high-quality bug reports
and these are appreciated a lot and are being put to good use as much as we can.

As long as the developers are not working faster than the existing high-quality
testers, there is no point in extending the QA process.

Best regards,
-Stephan