[openbeos] Re: Starting with OpenBeOS

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:08:35 +0200 CEST

Lorenzo <lcq2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, this is my first post on this mailing list, so I would like to
> say
> hello to everyone :).

Be welcome!

> I'm new to the world of BeOS, I just installed it three days ago
> (BeOS
> Personal Edition R5), and I really liked it, it is a great os.
> Now I've discovered the OpenBeOS project, and I want to try it, but
> I'm
> having problems building the sources. After trying out the PE version
> of
> BeOS I looked around for something more useful, and I found BeOS
> Developer Edition 1.1 which is based on the PE edition, so I
> installed

You shouldn't use the Developer Edition - the compiler that comes with
it is broken, you should either use the R5 compiler, or rather, the one
found on geekgadgets.

> it, everything worked fine. I downloaded the sources via cvs, and I
> started to build them, but most of the builds failed, looking at the
> errors, they were mostly STL related errors, anyway, the build
> process
> completed and I got a floppy image, I put it in a floppy, and
> rebooted,
> as soon as my system boots, everything crashes and it reboots, so I
> tried the floppy with bochs, and it boots, but it crashes with an
> error

To correctly build OpenBeOS, you need two things:
1) an updated "ld" which can be downloaded from our website.
http://open-beos.sourceforge.net/dev.php
2) a custom jam build, which you can either download from our website
(might be outdated), or just build it from the repository (under src/
tools/jam)

Good luck!

Bye,
   Axel.