[openbeos] Re: Re : FS attributes

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 14:02:02 EST

Alexandre Deckner <alexandre.deckner@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Wed, 9 Jan 2002
17:36:46 +0100:
> "Can  We  Get  By  Using  Just  Files  and
> Directories   (Composing   Streams   And  Attributes  From  Files  And
> Directories)?"
> http://www.namesys.com/v4/v4.html#compose_streams
>
> Couldn't we use ReiserFS in place of BFS ? Doesn't it provide all the
> functionality needed?

Possibly.  I was part of a large discussion on that topic over the weekend
on the ReiserFS mailing list.  It's currently missing change notifications
and indexing.  The attribute stuff is in their V4 plans, and could be
implemented on any old file system that has files and directories by
writing an object system layer.  Of course, with lots of small attributes,
a file system which handles small files well is good (like ReiserFS).
We also talked about a disk volume being equivalent to an XML file and
treating it like that in some ways (packing files/directories into a
nested XML form when they aren't in use).

- Alex