[haiku] Re: Problem installing Haiku-OS.

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:30:02 +0100

On 2010-01-07 at 18:16:28 [+0100], Luis Suzuki <luissuzuki@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When I boot from the Haiku-OS CD I see the splash screen as on the
> installing guide,but also the warning message:Welcome to debbuging land
> (or so)Not able to find a boot partitionand what seems a prompt kdebug>
> Well,I was about to install the operative system it should not have the
> expectation to find a boot partition.I have a partition not formatted I
> was expecting to be formatted together with the installation.How can i
> surpass this?

The problem here is that the CD is accessed through the BIOS at first, but
later, a Haiku driver has to be used. And that's were it is failing, it
cannot find the CD anymore as soon as the real disk drivers are supposed to
take over.

In my case, my CD-ROM setup is a bit weird. Haiku can see the CD-ROM but
not actually access it. Harddrive and USB work fine, though. So you may get
lucky if you manage to DD a raw image onto a USB stick and try to boot from
that. Maybe it sees your harddrive and you can install as you intended.

It would be nice to get a bug report. It will be interesting what kind of
setup you have. For example, I have a SATA controller in my Intel chipset,
which is not used (IIRC). Then I have an extra SATA controller from JMicron
which is used and where my HD is attached. Then I have a Marvel IDE chip
for backwards compatibility and that is where my unsupported CD-ROM is
attached. So please note all such details about your setup in the ticket,
if you file one. Thanks a lot and sorry it didn't work smoothly for you.

Best regards,
-Stephan