[openbeos] Re: Phoenix Group ?

  • From: "Vitaliy Mikitchenko" <vitviper@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 22:05:21 -0700

I've got to admit that if Palm gives the source of BeOS to the "Phoenix Group"
or any other, I'd buy the new release. It is almost guaranteed to be binary as
well as source level compatible. And hopefully it would fix the currently
existings bugs (or "limitations") as well as bringing some new drivers in. I
wouldn't give up hope on OpenBeOS though :)

> openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [openbeos] Re: Phoenix Group ?Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001
> 19:46:04 CDT
> "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Reply-To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

>Not completely sure. It's the group headed by Helmar, Deej, et al.
>
>BeOSJournal had a news item on this yesterday. BeFAQs then put in a
>news item about it -- but basically only pointing to BeOSJournal for
>more details. But today the item was pulled from BeOSJournal. BeFAQs
>has left their news item up (I guess they haven't noticed it no longer
>points to anything)
>
>The BeOSJournal item did go into a few details on this. But I really
>don't remember them. And I didn't make a copy of the page (wasn't
>expecting BeOSJournal to pull the item).
>Basically, tho, it seems to me that Phoenix is an attempt at creating
>'Be Inc. II' (or 'Son of Be Inc.'). Interesting.... we're trying to
>recreate the source code, and they're trying to recreate the company.
>
>Sure, I'm kinda interested in what's going on with this. But it doesn't
>change my mind about OpenBeOS regardless of what happens.
>

>>Anyone have any more info on
>>http://www.befaqs.com/news/readstory.php?story=64
>>
>><Snip>
>>BeOS Journal is reporting that the Phoenix group hopes to licence the
>BeOS
>>code from Palm to continue development of BeOS.
>>One thing is for sure, there are a lot of people that want to see BeOS
>>survive, one way or another. Having used BeOS for a couple years now
>I'm not
>>surprised by this. BeOS is a great OS!
>>Story from 2001-09-08 05:00:07+00.
>><end snip>
>>
>>Who are the Phoenix Group?

Vitaliy Mikitchenko (aka "VitViper"), Lead Programmer, Mage Productions
(http://magep.cjb.net/

Free, BeOS-friendly email accounts: http://BeMail.org/
BeOS News and Community: http://www.BeGroovy.com/