[openbeos] Re: Phoenix Group ?

  • From: "Helmar Rudolph" <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 12:39:45 +0200

> Who are the Phoenix Group?

There is no such thing a "the Phoenix Group".

As everybody knows by now, BeUnited has ... shifted its focus ;-)
and is working on a proposal for Palm regarding the licensing of
the BeOS source code aimed at relaunching it on a global scale.

There are two internal mailing lists: 1) the "core" list that
consists of the head of BeUnited (Deej, Ryan Abrams, John Tegen
and myself) and 2) the "phoenix" list that consists of us, plus
other team members and interested parties who don't only want to
talk but _actively contribute_ to the success of the BeOS.

See, it's that simple.

The reason why the article was pulled from BeOS Journal was a) that
we want to keep things quiet until such time where we actually
have something to report/show, and b) the address given in that
article was the one of the internal mailing list, so it wasn't
appropriate either.

That said, the proposal as such is finished. All we need to do is
create a "wrapper" that explains our motivation and makes some
suggestions to Palm how it could "handle" this matter to its
greatest benefit.

So, now you are all informed, and pls. keep it to yourself if
that's not too much to ask.

Lastly, Daniel wrote: "Interesting.... we're trying to recreate
the source code, and they're trying to recreate the company."

I think we are as little interested in recreating the company as
you are in recreating the OS. The discussions over the past days
on this list have shown that the BeOS has some serious design
flaws/limitations - be they of relevance to Joe Soap or not. In
the same manner, Be, Inc. had some serious design limitations,
and we do not intend to "recreate" them, because they were
largely responsible for causing the situation we are finding
ourselves in at the moment.

On a technical note, just to clue you all in, should we be
successful with our "application", we will see that we can get
the most glaring and serious bugs fixed first, and then bring out
a new release as soon as humanly possible. The resulting revenue
will then be used to address deeper issues, including those
mentioned here, and I am almost certain that many of the lurkers
and contributors on this list will find themselves working
for/with us too, because at the end of the day it matters not who
does the job, as long as it gets done, not so? :)

Keep fingers crossed, guys, because if we succeed, (some of) "you"
will benefit from it most, although then under strict NDA, at
some stage paid for, and with proper deadlines. Those who don't
want to do that and keep doing what they are doing, can do just
that - no argument or criticism here at all. After all, the
system is much bigger than the sum of its parts, so everything is
necessary and appreciated.

Helmar