[openbeos] Re: Ok, let's start

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 13:49:05 -0400

>I'm all for the idea, but I'm not sure about the implementation.  First,
>we need to establish small tightly focused teams and we need a couple of
>talented but focused Project Managers to pull the information together,
>and more importantly, disseminate it to the teams doing the work.

Sure. Are you volunteering? :-) I am - kernel group. It has always been
my deep, dark fascination.

>Your Kernel team is one part of a huge undertaking.  Bear in mind that
>it took Be 11 years to get where it is, admittedly with a few stutter
>starts here and there.

You know - I 100% agree. I initiated all of this with a lot of fear and
trembling.
But faced with the choices, it seems like the only way to go.

>So the begs the question, do you start by having the kernel team tear
>apart an existing BeOS installation, and work through a binary
>compatable kernel replacement that the existing drivers and kits run on
>top of, and then replace those as you can, or do you take a scratch
>approach and spend the next 6-9 months getting enough of a foundation
>running that you can even demo something?

I think that the former is the right way. I would like to be 100% compatible
for a 1.0 release. After that, we can take a long vacation and talk. But we will
a) know a lot more and b) have a whole lot more code towards where we
eventually want to be.